Small Action Inspiration
From the Small Actions Directory
Small Action Description
Workplace injuries are rough on employees and employers. Lost time, and lost wages, can cause depression, stress, and relationship strain for employees and business owners. They can also cost money and delay projects for the business. In fact, over 25% of all workplace injuries occur because of slips, trips, and falls (US Bureau of Labor Statistics). This hazard can also extend to your customers as well depending on your type of business.
There are a lot of different ways to help prevent or minimize these risks, including:
- Evaluate your business for the most common or possible hazards, including ones caused by weather conditions (think slippery floors from rain, iced sidewalks, water fountain areas, etc.), and then propose ways to eliminate or minimize potential risks.
- Create a routine or process to regularly inspect your business for objects that could cause workplace slips, trips, and falls – fix any immediate needs and change any ongoing problems.
- Train your employees on slip, trip, and fall guidelines.
- Maintain adequate lighting
- Install technology to help minimize potential issues (such as motion sensors, automatic door openers, etc.)
- Establish a routine maintenance schedule for areas with the most risk.
- And many more specific options depending on your specific business.
Ensuring a safe working environment should be standard practice for businesses. However, it’s often done haphazardly and very rarely applied to customers as well. Bringing higher attention to the safety and wellness of your employees and customers than is “required” is a socially responsible action.
*Don’t just “do” an action. Make that action effective. Learn more about what it means to be effective in our related blog post. And yes, you can benefit even from an action like this. It just takes a different way of thinking.
Interested in Learning More?
Articles about the action:
- Slips, Trips & Falls – Overview by Occupational Health & Safety Magazine (ohsonline.com)
- Slip & Fall Quick Facts (nfsi.org)
Ideas for getting started:
- Slips, Trips, and Falls: Protect Your Employees from Preventable Injuries (osha-safety-training-net)
- Protect your business property from slip and falls (statefarm.com)
- 7 Slip & Fall Prevention Tips For Your Commercial Business (icnj.com)
- Preventing Slips, Trips and Falls in the Workplace (travelers.com)
About Small Actions
Small Actions are steps that you can take to do more social good through your Small Business.
They are organized into 4 categories as part of the Small Actions Framework, a unique approach to Small Business Social Responsibility.
A complete list of the categories, and subcategories, is maintained as a blog on this site.
About Small Actions Greater Good
Small Actions Greater Good provides education, resources, and training to make it easier for Small Businesses Owners to do more effective social good that benefits their business, makes them proud of their efforts, and inspires others (also known as Small Business Social Responsibility).
Learn more about Small Business Social Responsibility by visiting our Free Education and Resources page.
Browse Complete Directory
Review Small Action Inspirations for ideas on how to do more social good through your Small Business.