Small Action Inspiration
From the Small Actions Directory
Small Action Description
Promoting recycling at your small business is a simple yet impactful action that can contribute to a more sustainable environment. Recycling plays a vital role in safeguarding the environment by diverting waste from landfills, conserving valuable resources like energy, water, and raw materials, and reducing the emission of greenhouse gases, thus contributing to a healthier and more sustainable planet.
However, taking this action does not mean just placing recycling bins somewhere and stepping away. At a minimum, consider:
- Assessing your workplace’s current waste management practices and identifying areas where recycling can be implemented or improved.
- Setting up clearly labeled recycling bins in convenient and visible locations throughout your premises, such as common areas, break rooms, and near copiers or printers. Pay close attention to WHERE you place the bins, as it can make a significant difference on the success of your program.
- Educating your employees about the importance of recycling and provide clear guidelines on what can and cannot be recycled. Finally, regularly communicate and reinforce these practices to ensure ongoing participation and adherence.
Implementing recycling practices can also benefit your business in various ways. It can help you save money on waste disposal costs, as recycling may be more cost effective than traditional waste removal methods. Additionally, promoting recycling can enhance your business’s reputation and attract environmentally conscious customers who prefer to support eco-friendly companies. It can also boost employee morale and engagement, as employees appreciate working for a socially responsible organization.
*And remember… don’t just “do” an action. Make that action effective. Learn more about what it means to be effective in our related blog post.
Interested in Learning More?
Articles about the action:
- Recycling in the Office: The In’s and Out’s of Setting Up an At-Work Recycling Program (greenbusinessbureau.com)
- 10 Great Benefits of Recycling for Businesses (accelpolymers.com)
- Why Is Recycling Important For A Business? 5 Surprising Benefits (cleanriver.com)
- America Recycles Day (epa.gov)
Ideas for getting started:
- 22 Top Recycling Tips for the Workplace That You Can Implement Today (recyclecoach.com)
- How to set up an office recycling program (cleanriver.com)
About Small Actions
Small Actions are steps that you can take to do more social good through your Small Business.
They are organized into 4 categories as part of the Small Actions Framework, a unique approach to Small Business Social Responsibility.
A complete list of the categories, and subcategories, is maintained as a blog on this site.
About Small Actions Greater Good
Small Actions Greater Good provides education, resources, and training to make it easier for Small Businesses Owners to do more effective social good that benefits their business, makes them proud of their efforts, and inspires others (also known as Small Business Social Responsibility).
Learn more about Small Business Social Responsibility by visiting our Free Education and Resources page.
Browse Complete Directory
Review Small Action Inspirations for ideas on how to do more social good through your Small Business.